There is a need to find and sing our own song,
to stretch our limbs and shake them in a
dance so wild that nothing can roost there,
that stirs the yearning for solitary wings.
~Barbara Lazear Ascher~
Being solitary is being alone well;
being alone luxuriously immersed in
doings of your own choice, aware of
the fullness of your own presence
rather than the absence of others.
Because solitude is an achievement.
If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can
totally transform one million realities.
It is in deep solitude that I find the gentleness
with which I can truly love my brothers. The
more solitary I am the more affection I have
for them . . . Solitude and silence teach me to
love my brothers for what they are,
not what they say.
Sometimes the solitary voice
can be the best one.
There is something awesome in the thought
of the solitary mortal standing by the open
window and summoning in from the gloom
the spirits of the nether world.
~Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.~
There’s something about the water –
that solitary kind of peaceful feeling.
You’re on Earth, but not quite.
~John C. Reilly~
You do not need to leave your room.
Remain sitting at your table and listen.
Do not even listen, simply wait,
be quiet still and solitary.
The world will freely offer itself to you
to be unmasked, it has no choice,
it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.
It’s an interesting combination:
Having a great fear of being alone,
and having a desperate need for
solitude and the solitary experience.
That’s always been a tug of war for me.
Some minds seem almost to create themselves,
springing up under every disadvantage and
working their solitary but irresistible
way through a thousand obstacles.
1. Essential for mental, emotional and spiritual well-being
2. Encourages self-reflection and spiritual growth
3. Promotes peacefulness in a busy life
4. Stimulates the creative mind and enhances artistic talents
5. Aids in gaining and keeping perspective – to remember what’s really important in life.
6. Relaxes and rejuvenates
7. Nourishes a friendship with one’s self
8. Encourages wonder and curiosity
9. Even a little alone time each day is beneficial
10. Strengthens relationships